FF Banner

FF Banner

Diggin' out of a Rut!


Well, folks, I'm stuck in a rut. And it pains me to admit it. But like with most writers, it happens... Call it writer's block... call it a momentary lapse in creative juices... call it what you will, but I will say this much - IT SUCKS! I am attempting to start a new idea and I think I have rewritten it about twenty  a thousand times! I'm going to buckle down today, dab on some attention assist essential oil, and get to work.

So, what does this little rant have to do with the picture posted above? It really paints a picture on what authors go through. I've been a writer since I was biting ankles, and only within the past six years have I developed the courage to publish and share my work. So much more comes with writing than just getting a manuscript finished - re-writes (as stated above), editing (the worst part of finishing a book for me), and not to mention the marketing! It is definitely a piece of our soul, a small glimpse into our minds, and it is nerve wracking opening it up for criticism to all of the world. Some days it feels extremely rewarding, and some days I wonder why the heck I keep doing it.

I continue to do what I do for readers, even if I only have a few at the moment. I try not to harp too much on the sales numbers - but believe me, it's like looking at a bad car wreck. You know it's bad, but you STILL have to look out of curiosity. I think the numbers are partly what has attributed to the deep rut that I'm stuck in. I feel like I'm writing to an empty room sometimes.

What I need to do is get back to basics - when I first started writing, it was Fanfiction for various TV shows. I did it for the FUN of it, since no money could be made off of it. Even back then, I thrived off of feedback and reviews. I need to remember how much of a blast it was. I didn't pull in a paycheck, but I loved every second of it. What is different with my original fiction? I still need feedback in reviews, but why am I focusing so much on sales numbers? I wish I knew the answer, but it is in my control. I need to migrate away from the reports and numbers. I need to only check them a few times a week, if any....

Long story short, it's time to dig out of this deep hole and get back to doing what I love. To those faithful fans who have stuck around, thank you! To those who have recently discovered me, thank you! And to those who randomly stumble across this blog and have not yet read one of my books, thank you! You are all why I continue to write. For the FUN of it. For the escape from real life. For the stress relief of forming a character in my head and watching him evolve into a huge force in my writing world.

Today I dig out of my rut! Today I start a new idea. Today I stop harping on sales numbers and move forward!

Have a wonderful Sunday!
J.R. 

No comments:

Post a Comment