FF Banner

FF Banner

The Importance of Feedback


I've had a few people ask me how they can help me with my books. One of the easiest and best ways to give a shout out is to leave a review. Even if you didn't enjoy the book, constructive feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. Notice I say constructive... slamming an author and being hateful isn't useful for us, but constructive criticism helps us grow as a writer.

I know a lot of people who cringe when they are asked to leave a review. I'm not asking for a ten page book report! :) It can be one or two sentences pointing out what you liked, what you didn't like, etc. Quick and to the point is just as great as someone who writes several paragraphs.

It's a catch 22. On Amazon, the more reviews a book has, the more exposed it gets. At least, that's what I've heard. It's a vicious circle - if I don't have many reviews, how can I get my book out there to get those reviews? Writing a book doesn't stop at finishing the manuscript. The marketing side is probably the most challenging to me, and reviews are a big factor in exposure. It also goes hand in hand with word of mouth. If you liked a book, tell someone. If someone asks for book recommendations, tell them about the books you read and liked. If you recommend to enough people, it spreads like wildfire.

So, if you ever wonder how you can help an author, start with leaving a review! If you thoroughly enjoyed a book, the simple gesture can go a long way. And even if you didn't care for the book, leaving something constructive is helpful so the writer can take the advice and try to improve.

If we don't hear anything from readers, we aren't quite sure how we're doing. After all, you readers are the reason we do what we do! Hearing from you is appreciated!

Happy reading! Here's to another week!
J.R.

No comments:

Post a Comment